Pages

Saturday, September 29, 2012

My favorite cookie

Fall is here and winter is around the corner, I can feel it on the night air. One of the very best things about this season is cookies and hot chocolate.

These cookies are my personal favorite chocolate chip cookie. Not too thin, chewy, buttery, and filled with rich morsels of dark chocolate, high quality ingredients make the best chocolate chip cookies. All together, PERFECTION. Another reason they are my favorite, they are the ones mom always made on those cold afternoons while we kids were playing in the snow.

Argue if you will, but I'm sticking to it. I have made many other chocolate chip cookie recipes, as most people have done, and while I believe there are many recipes out there better than others, I also firmly believe that everyone has their own personal preferences. For example, my sister likes her chocolate chip cookies thinner than thin. Also, I think making chocolate chip cookies with shortening is a sin. I NEVER do that, even if the recipe calls for it. Gasp, oh no! She said she hates my favorite cookies. I'm not sorry. You can have more to yourself.

Do your own chocolate chip cookie hunt to find your favorite. I have learned in my research that the cookies taste better when your butter and eggs have been allowed to reach room temperature naturally. I also know that allowing the dough to rest overnight either in the fridge will help the flavors to soothe into eachother, making a richer and more flavorful cookie. Usually, I can't wait that long, and these cookies are delicious regardless. In your hunt for the perfect chocolate chip cookie, if you start here, you definitely will not have far to go.

From the tattered pages of my mom's Betty Crocker's The Cooky Book
revised to my preferences and presented for your enjoyment, ladies and gentleman!

THE Chocolate Chip Cookie

2/3 C Butter at room temperature
1/2 C Turbinado sugar
1/2 C packed dark brown sugar
1 egg at room temperature
1 tsp high quality vanilla
1 1/2 C all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C chopped nuts (optional)
3/4 package Ghiradelli 60% cacao baking chips (Not optional)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, Blend butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla and beat until well blended. In a separate, smaller bowl, stir the dry ingredients together, then blend into the sugar mixture slowly. Stir in the nuts and chocolate with a wooden spoon (better for licking later :) 

Drop by teaspoons full onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes, until delicately browned. I like mine at just 8 minutes, but this changes of course, depending on the size of your cookie. 

 


Makes 4-5 dozen 2 inch cookies. (According to the recipe. I must make mine too big because we usually get 3 dozen out of this recipe.)

Feeding the hard working and studious husband a well deserved late night snack.

No comments:

Post a Comment