I made them twice, once to experiment and take pictures, the second time for the shower. My husband was delighted both times, since he has the title of Taste Tester # 1 in our household.
Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 C Butter at room temperature
1 C dark brown sugar
1/3 C white sugar
2 eggs (large) at room temperature
2 C flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 C buttermilk + 1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 C canned pumpkin
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and place cupcake liners in pan.
1. Beat butter and sugars together until fluffy.
2. Sift all the dry ingredients into a medium bowl.
3. Add eggs one at a time to sugar mixture, making sure each is fully incorporated.
4. Alternate adding flour mixture and milk mixture to the sugar mixture. Make sure to begin and end with flour.
5. Beat in pumpkin until smooth.
6. Scoop batter into liners until they are 3/4 full.
7. Bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes.
8. Cool completely before frosting. I saw this decorating technique on another website and decided I had to try to replicate. I was personally proud of the results.
Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
12 oz cream cheese, softened at room temperature
1/2 C butter, softened at room temperature
1 tsp maple extract
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
2-3 cup powdered sugar
Beat all ingredients together until smooth. Try not to eat too much of it so you have enough to frost with.